Go Back   E4S Forums > Graduate Work and Discussion > General Graduate job discussion
 Click here to login 

Old 30-12-08, 07:19 AM
Just Starting...

prabakarank is on a distinguished road
Default Online Job Search Tips

The internet has changed the way job search and job hunting is done. Over the past decade there has been a gradual transition from manual employment searching to online job search. Job seekers feel more comfortable with online search engines because of the scalability they have. However while searching a job online it is good to follow certain procedures to make your ultimate goal of job hunting successful.

1. Create a Killer Resume: Your resume is what presents you to your employer. Your resume is as important as a profile for a company. You must take the time to create a resume that makes you stand out from the crowd. Try to be very specific in your resume, as employers would not read through all the details in your resume. Highlight whatever you feel that could add strength to your resume. Try to add good references in your resume.
2. Create a Good Cover Letter: You must have a cover letter that exhibits your attitude. As a job seeker you must exhibit your positive attitude and discipline in your cover letter. Try to be as polite as possible.
3. Multiple Resumes: It is better to have multiple resumes. You may prepare a resume specifically for a software engineer job and another one specifically for a call center job. You must target your resume to the employer.
4. Searching for a Job: When searching for a job online, you need to find a job search engine that is reliable and that would help you achieve your ultimate goal of job search
5. Keep Track: Job seekers should keep track of the job applications they have made and constantly check the websites to see if your CV has been shortlisted.

Last edited by Onders; 11-01-09 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Violation of terms and conditions - no advertising in forum
Old 17-01-09, 04:58 PM
Just Starting...

mittt is on a distinguished road

heres some advice on finding a grad job, not online, but they still help...

-company presentations: at your uni or externally

-careers fairs

-newspapers & magazines: esp student newspapers at your uni

-recruitment agencies: a good graduate recruitment firm ive heard of is "Cenda Consultancy"

Last edited by mittt; 18-01-09 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Violation of terms and conditions - no advertising in forum
Old 06-05-09, 09:40 AM
Just Starting...

Michael06 is on a distinguished road

Nice post,

While the resume is the gateway to the professional world, it is the job interview from where your real fight begins. It tests your ability to handle different situations that might come your way in your professional life. There are specific strategies, which if followed carefully, guarantee success at the job interview. One can get to buy books from the market that specialize in tips regarding handling a job interview. A job interview is the most important part of a job search process. Since the entire thing is a practical experience, it can be said that theoretical guidelines can only help you to certain extent.

Old 19-06-09, 08:32 PM
Shannon104

I thought some of you might find the resuwe website helpful:

Apparently it's a website run by recruiters, and it will have a lot of information to help job seekers. It will also have a free tool to optimize your resume. They have a blog as well that gives some tips for writing resumes and cover letters. I personally thought it was extremely useful. Here is part of one of their articles:

How can I build a boring/content rich resume?

1. MS Word doc only! MS Word doc files are the standard and easiest for Applicant Tracking Systems to upload and parse.
2. List your resume reverse chronologically - Most recent positions on top
3. One font throughout your resume - Arial, Times New Roman, Georgia, and Garamond are best
4. Black font color only
5. 10pt, 11pt, or 12pt font size only. Stick with one font size throughout your entire resume.
6. Let your resume flow to 2-3 pages if you have the experience (usually 10+ years or more)
7. List all start and end dates for your positions in the Month, Year format (ex. January, 2006 to June, 2009)
8. Optimize your resume content by including as many keywords relating to your skills, experiences, technologies, or activities you have worked with.
9. Proofread. Every text editor, MS Word, and Google Docs all have built in Spell Checkers. There are no excuses for typos!
10. Links to your professional blog or Twitter page to promote your personal brand. Only if you are 100% sure the content is professional.

Hope this helps you guys out as much as it helped me!

Last edited by Onders; 20-06-09 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Violation of terms and conditions - no advertising in forum
Old 28-06-09, 08:32 PM
Just Starting...

tate1974 is on a distinguished road

Your totally correct the methods used to search, apply and advertise have changed to the extent that most recruitment is now classed as digital recruitment, the days of filing cabinets full of CV's are gone!
I think the advances in recruitment technology benefit both the jobseeker and the employer by giving greater choice of jobs and candidates, the internet can be very hard to navigate but given the correct advice, tools, guidance everyone should benefit from the technology, I have found a great gadget that I told my girlfriend about when looking for a job, and she said it made things alot simpler.

hope this helps

Last edited by Onders; 28-06-09 at 09:43 PM. Reason: No advertising in forum