Go Back   E4S Forums > Internships and work experience placements > General internship discussion lounge
 Click here to login 

Old 10-02-09, 03:32 PM
Just Starting...

kerryanderson is on a distinguished road
Default sound advice needed!!

I'm hoping someone can give me advice!I'm studying a diploma in events management and business and am keen on gaining some experience in the events industry. Apart from emailing events management companies and other event related organisations (I have tried but no luck)can anyone reccomend any alternative routes to try for work experience? i have mentioned that I am willing to work voluntarily. Has anyone heard of companies taking on apprentices etc?
Old 10-02-09, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Onders is on a distinguished road
Default Sound advice needed

Hi! I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble getting work, it's quite a competitive industry you're getting into, but I'm sure you'll be able to get there..

Of firstly, you mention that you have emailed events companies but no luck, have they all responded and said no? If so, have you asked why they have said no? It's worth being really persistent and if you really want to work in some of these companies, it's up to you to not take no for an answer. Easier said than done I know, but if they are refusing you, even for voluntary work, then you need to find out why.

If you can't find anything in that field then thinking creatively about the industry is probably the next step - what other sectors or areas will give you experience which would benefit you? The more creatively you can think of options, the more chance you have of getting something..

Apologies for not being able to give any more specific advice, but keep the determination.. you will get a job, and your hard work will pay off!

Good luck..