Go Back   E4S Forums > Internships and work experience placements > General internship discussion lounge
 Click here to login 

Old 22-04-08, 03:24 PM
Just Starting...

aliyah87 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Job interview

I have a job interview this Thursday. I am quite nervous because I haven't had previous retail experience so I have to stand out from the other potential candidates.

Any suggestions?

P.S How do I check if people have replied to my post/thread? :-s
Old 15-10-08, 10:02 PM
Just Starting...

manojkumar716 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I have a job interview this Thursday. I am quite nervous because I haven't had previous retail experience so I have to stand out from the other potential candidates.

Any suggestions?

P.S How do I check if people have replied to my post/thread?
Old 15-10-08, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Onders is on a distinguished road
Default Job Interviews

Hi,

Your post is the same as the one above, so not sure if you meant to ask that question.. but I'll try and answer it anyway!

People get nervous for job interviews - you're not the only one so don't worry.. the people holding the interviews expect it anyway, so again, don't worry.

There are a few things you can do though which will help

a) Preparation - this is the key to everything!! Find out as much about the job you are applying for and the company and try to remember as much information as you can

b) Think about the questions they may ask you - and write them down and prepare answers for them. If it's a job as a customer sales assistant a question could well be on "how would you deal with a customer if.....". Think of how you would structure your answer and what they would want to hear. The same applies for any kind of position, from a checkout job to an internship or graduate position

c) Practice - ask your family and friends to practice interviews with you. If there's a careers service at your school / college / university they may well offer this anyway.. otherwise, why not ask? The more practice you get at interviews the easier they become - that's a promise!

d) What do you want to know? It's also worth thinking about questions that you have for them.. if you ask an interviewer questions it shows initiative and interest, and shows you know your stuff. Think about what you could ask - from what benefits and career progression they provide to what their plans for the company are..

I hope this is helpful... and remember, interviews are things which everybody has to get through in life, but they're never as bad as you imagine them to be.. and with the right preparation you'll do absolutely fine!
Old 05-02-09, 04:47 AM
Just Starting...

gomez12 is on a distinguished road

Before going to an interview you please get some knowledge about retail.I would like to suggest you to read newspapers for that.Be bold while interview.All the best.
------------------------
gomez

Last edited by Onders; 05-02-09 at 08:22 AM. Reason: No advertising in forum
Old 12-02-09, 10:34 AM
Just Starting...

sdl2lk is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please!!! Rolls Royce Assessment

Hi there,

I have an assessment day at Rolls Royce for a Finance Graduate program on 23rd Feb.

Can anyone tell me what i should be expecting for the group exercise and individual exercise?

Thanks.

Regards,
Danny.
Old 12-02-09, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Onders is on a distinguished road
Default job interview

Hi Danny,

Good to hear you got through to the assessment day - congratulations! I have not been to a Rolls Royce assessment day, but hopefully someone may have, who will post here. There are a few general things to bear in mind from a group and individual exercise though. You may have heard all this stuff before, but in case you haven't!

a) For the group exercises it's all about being co-operative, but also assertive. They're going to be looking at how well you work with other people, not compete with them head to head here! On the other hand they're also going to be looking for enthusiasm, imagination, and leadership qualities, so although you may all be working together, it's not a case of waiting for other people to tell you what to do before you get involved.

The specific things they may get you to do probably depend on what graduate programme you're trying to get on, is it engineering, marketing, purchasing or any one of the others.

b) For the individual exercise it's all about creativity, forward thinking, logic, and being enthusiastic. There's probably a few more skills, but again, I'm not sure what they could ask specifically.

Anyone, good luck with it!
Old 13-02-09, 01:17 PM
Just Starting...

sdl2lk is on a distinguished road
Default Help Please!!! Rolls Royce Assessment

Hello Onders,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will definitely bare that thought in mind.

My application for rolls royce is for a Finance Scheme. So I just want know get like a head start as to what sort of Group/Individual exercise I should be expecting with an organisation like Rolls Royce.

For example for my Barclays finance graduate scheme interview I got an group exercise which involved marketing aspects. Basically i was given two products and then sort a marketing plan. Like wise i just want to know if anyone would have a glimps of an idea whether i should be expecting something marketing oriented or budget oriented etc. Any ideas?

Regards,
Danny.
Old 06-04-09, 02:28 PM
Just Starting...

Michael06 is on a distinguished road

Nice post,

With the global economic downturn, job interview is becoming increasingly competitive. Prospective candidates are now coming out of their misconception that a job interview guaranteed them the job itself. There is fierce competition in the professional world and every candidate is hell bent on proving his/her worth at the few job interviews coming their way.

Old 01-06-09, 09:23 AM
Just Starting...

tahanisharief is on a distinguished road
Default Interview tricks

Interview tricks

On the phone interview

AIDA;

You must get the company representatives attention

You must get the company representatives interest

You must create a desire to know more about you

You must encourage the company representative to take action

Interest attention desire & action

When they ask you ‘how much are you making’ ‘do you have a degree’ ‘how much’ experience do you have by giving the appropriate answers to these and other questions, you will change their interest into desire.

The types of questions you are asked will enable you to identify the companies specific needs and once they are identified, you can gear the ongoing conversation to those needs.

Step one

Tell just enough about your self to whet the companies appetite and cause the representative to start asking questions.

Keep your description a little vague. If you describe yourself as simply experienced, the company representative must try to qualify your statement with a question like ‘how much experience do you have’.
You have established a level of interest. But if you describe yourself as having four years experience, while the company is looking for seven, you are likely to be ruled out before you are even aware the job exists.

Never specify exact experience or list all your accomplishments during the initial presentation. Your aim is just to open a dialogue.

‘Good afternoon, Mr Jones. My name is Sara Smith. I am an experienced salesperson with an in- depth knowledge of the retail industry. Have I caught you at a good time?’

Never ask anyone if you have caught them at a bad time. You are offering your contact an excuse to say ‘yes’.

Step two

You are now ready to generate interest, and from that desire; it’s time to sell one or two of your accomplishments. Pull out no more than two of your accomplishments. Keep them brief and two the point.

Example

“I was voted best sales person in my company and won three major accounts from my competitors.”

Step three

You have now made the company representative want to know more about you, so you can now make him take action. Include the reason for your call and request to meet.

For more free advice please visit/ email www.mayflowermansion.co.uk