View Single Post
Old 07-07-09, 02:50 PM
Dave Dave is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 55
Dave is on a distinguished road


If you are in full receipt of the Student Loan for Maintenance and the Grant for Maintenance (or regional equivalent), you will also be entitled to a minimum of 310 from your university, in the form of a non-repayable bursary. Many universities are currently offering much more than this - typically, bursaries of around 1,000 were available to students within this category during the 2007/2008 academic year. Even if you are not in full receipt of the government loans and grants, your university may still give you a partial bursary. As the actual figure varies from university to university, you will need to look at your chosen university's website and/or contact them to find out whether how large a bursary you may be entitled to, if any.

You do not have to apply separately for a university bursary; all you need to do is select the option to "share your details" with the university when you apply for your student loans through the Student Loans Company. They will then pass on your details to your firm-choice university, and if you are entitled to any money the university will take care of the process of getting it to you.

Childcare Grants

If you have children you could be entitled to help with your childcare. It depends on your household income and is based on 85% of your childcare costs. The maximum available is 148.75 per week if you have one child and 250 per week if you have two or more children.

Financial Contingency Funds

Also known as "Hardship Funds". You do not need to worry about this type of funding before you get to university, but for those of you who are concerned that you might not be able to make ends meet if something goes wrong: most universities will have some sort of "hardship" scheme in place, if you really begin to struggle financially once you're there. It is best to contact the universities of your choice to find out their policy in such circumstances.

NHS Bursaries

These may be available to students on pre-registration health professional training courses. For more information, visit the NHS Student Bursaries website.

Other Types of Funding

Many universities will also offer their own special bursaries; for example, sometimes there is funding available to students studying on an under-subscribed course, whilst some male-dominated courses give extra money to female students. Many universities also give small book grants, travelling grants and achievement grants. As all of these things are university-specific, you will need to contact your university, or search on their website for further information.

How do I apply?

Now that you have a better understanding of the funding available, you need to know how to get it. The description below is of the online process; if you wish to apply on paper, you can either contact your LA and ask them to post you a form or request one from your school.
If you choose to apply online, you will need to register with the Student Loans Company, through the relevant site, before you do anything else.

* English students should go through Student Finance Direct
* Welsh students should go through Student Finance Wales
* Scottish students should go through the Student Awards Agency for Scotland
* Northern Irish students should go through Student Finance NI

Once you have registered, you will be able to start filling in your application.
- Dave
Reply With Quote