E4S Forums

E4S Forums (http://forum.e4s.co.uk/index.php)
-   Student Money (http://forum.e4s.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Job Seekers Allowance (http://forum.e4s.co.uk/showthread.php?t=728)

Dave 13-07-09 01:46 AM

Job Seekers Allowance
Jobseeker's Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is the main benefit for people of working age who are out of work.

Who is eligible?

If you're out of work or working less than 16 hours a week on average, you may be able to get Jobseeker's Allowance.

You must be:

* capable of working
* available for work
* actively seeking work
* below state pension age

How does it work?

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

You may get contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance if you have paid or been credited with class 1 National Insurance (NI) contributions in the relevant tax years. Self employed contributions will not generally qualify you for contribution-based Jobseekers Allowance.

Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

This is based on your income and savings. You may get this if you have not paid enough National Insurance contributions (NICs) (or you've only paid contributions for self-employment) and you're on a low income.
JSA for 16 and 17 year olds

If you're unemployed and 16 or 17 years old you may be able to get income-based JSA for a short amount of time.

For example, this could be if you:

* are forced to live away from your parents
* will find it very hard to live without Jobseeker’s Allowance
* are part of a couple responsible for a child

How much do you get?

Contribution-based Jobseeker's Allowance

You get a weekly rate according to your age:

Age 16 - 25: £50.95

Age 25 or over: £64.30

Your payments might be reduced if you're getting a pension.
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance

The maximum weekly rates are:

Single people aged 16 - 24: £50.95

Single people aged 25 or over: £64.30

Couples and civil partnerships (both aged 18 or over): £100.95

Lone parents (aged under 18): £50.95

Lone parents (aged 18 or over): £64.30

Your payments might be reduced if you receive income from part-time employment. You'll get less if you have savings over £6,000. If you have savings over £16,000 you probably won't qualify.

Your payments might also be reduced if you're getting an occupational or personal pension. For contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance Jobcentre Plus do not take into account the first £50 of your pension.

If your partner or civil partner works 24 hours or more a week on average, you can't usually get income-based JSA (contribution-based JSA isn't affected). If they work less than 24 hours, it may affect how much you get.

Your payments might be reduced if you're getting a occupational or personal pension:

* Contribution based Jobseeker's Allowance a £50 disregard is applied before JSA is reduced.
* Income based Jobseeker's Allowance, which is means-tested, has no disregard.

How to claim

Call 0800 055 6688 (8.00 am - 6.00 pm Monday to Friday). A textphone service is available if you have a speech or hearing impairment on 0800 023 4888.

You can also claim online using the Claim online - Jobseeker's Allowance service provided by the Department for Work and Pensions.

An adviser will explain how JSA works and draw up a 'jobseeker's agreement' with you, showing:

* your availability for work
* the kind of work you want and how you'll look for it
* how you might improve your chances of finding a job
* the help and support you'll get

You'll need to confirm your claim in person every two weeks, and your situation will be reviewed at regular interviews.

How it's paid

Jobseeker's Allowance is usually paid every two weeks in arrears by Direct Payment into your bank, building society, or National Savings account.

What to do if your circumstances change

You must tell Jobcentre Plus as soon as possible about any changes in your circumstances. For example, this could be if you:

* move house
* start any kind of work, training or a university or college course
* become ill or go into hospital
* go on holiday in Great Britain or abroad
* gain capital (including savings and investments) for example property is left to you

In many cases you'll still be able to claim JSA, but if you don't report a change in circumstance you could lose your benefit.

victorinoff 01-11-09 08:47 PM

I woud like to have a partial job, i will go to london next year for inteships, but I do not have enough money to stay for 4 months.

Thank you very much...

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 PM.